Saturday, May 28, 2011

Closeted Artist (One Can Dream, Right?)

Allow me to indulge in a little bit of reminiscing.

Back when I was in primary school, I made my first, an thus far only, sale of an original artwork. I wrote and drew a Doraemon story on a couple of A4 sized paper, made a few photocopies and sold it to my class mates for a few cents a copy.

This little episode dates back close to twenty years, and while I've taken the path well trodden and so familiar with many Asian lower-middle income children and went into a career in accountancy, the fondness for drawing stayed with me.

I drew on tables, by using my preferred medium for drawing, erasable (and eventually erased) pencils, both in secondary school and in college. I remember a drawing of a koala on the common study area in college gaining one or two fans whom I saw copying the drawing onto pieces of paper.

During my six year employment in a big 4 accounting firm, I was further presented with opportunities to satiate my inner artist.


The cover of the book

I was given the chance to assist in a Business Development Center of my firm in their efforts to produce a guidebook to be distributed to the regional firms partners.


One of the pages in "Ideas"

I was requested to produce approximately thirty illustrations, like this...

Put yourself in your clients' shoes

...and this...


Don't take things lightly



Then, in the middle of 2010, there was the launch of an audit improvement project, where there were balloons aplenty.



The people who made project balloons a success
 
The aim of that Saturday morning was to produce as many as possible, illustrated balloons within other illustrated balloons, so that when the outer balloon which represents a negative habit, is burst, it reveals the inner balloon which is decorated with positive messages.


Working hard on a Saturday morning


Finally, before I sign off this entry, the last drawing opportunity I had in the firm came via the 2010 Corporate Responsibility project, which introduced me to the world of digital coloring, turning this...



...to this...

Something about turtle migration...

...and this...




...to this...

Something about turtle loyalty...

..and this....

 



...to this...


Something about the sleeping patterns of turtles


and finally, this...

 

...to this...

Something about how turtles are mostly vegetarians..

Each of the above were used as posters and contained fun facts about sea turtles, and were posted at bulletin boards in many levels of the office building.

So, anyone willing to pay a few cents for photocopies of any of the above illustrations?

(Note: Balloons no longer available - we got cheap ones and they didn't last very long)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was not a koala on the payment counter table as claimed but a total rip-off of Winnie the pooh. Lack of originality was apparent.

Justin said...

I do admit that I get inspired by a variety of things, and Winnie the Pooh may have subconciously influenced that piece of drawing, but my main muse for that koala (by virtue of its large ears) drawing was my girlfriend (and a particular series of greeting cards from Memory Lane).

Glad that someone actually remembers those drawings though, and thank you for your comment.