Thursday, October 13, 2011

"When Death Came To Me Last Night"


Death came to me in a dream last night,
In his black cloak He stood by my bed's side.

Strangely, there were neither fear nor fright,
As I stared at this foreboding aphotic sight.

He spoke in a voice not unlike my own,
Ominous and certain, yet in a soothing tone.

He said, "Son, you are going to die today,
Unless you do exactly as I say".

"When dawn breaks, and the day begins ,
Go to the mirror and seek the person for which it contains".

"Tell him with conviction, with assuredness, in one single breath,
That you choose life, and not an early death."

"A life of purpose, a life of convivial,
And not merely one of survival".

The apparition disappeared, my eyes opened, I gazed at my lover,
But soon drifted back to sleep as I pulled her closer.

Though I'm convinced a dream was all it is,
or was it, do I dare not heed this warning of His?


As much as this poem is about death, it is also about life.

I found it interesting that in my dream, the one being that has been tasked to serve a reminder about the importance of living your life to the fullest, came from the Grim Reaper himself, the purveyor of death and the end of life.

Strange how this dream refuses to fade away.


No comments: