Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Difference Between Religion & Race

This morning, a group chat room between my friends and I received an update that the babysitter in the case of a murdered baby in the park in my hometown has admitted to concocting the story that she was kidnapped by three men in the early mornings, which led to the disappearance, and ultimately, the death of the baby.

But that is not the point of this tale.

The update was sent by a friend, and another friend replied the following:

"That's ugly...I heard she is a Christian...Aiyah".

This comment received a lot of criticism and brickbats from another friend and myself, and the language used was pretty colorful. We were outraged at his insinuation that if she was of any other religion, or if she was without a religion, it would be less shocking to him (he is a Christian, by the way).

But again, that is not the point of this tale.

After getting an earful from us, our friend who made the "Christian" remark tried to explain himself by saying, "I never think that way of Buddhist or Muslim or Indians".

My friend, "Indian" is not a religion. "Indian" is a race. "Hindu" is a religion, "Indian" is not.

THAT is the point of this story.

No comments: